Is There Room for the Pooch?

Room for Merlyn?

Room for Merlyn?

Authors should be on Pinterest because women love the site, and women, sales figures tell us, buy the most books. Plus it’s an interesting challenge for authors, who traffic in words, to tell stories in photos.

I jumped aboard awhile back. I persuaded friends traveling abroad to take my books along and get photos in exotic places. Bang: Pinterest board.

We spent two days in a studio filming a book trailer. I shot dozens of behind-the-scenes photos. Bang: Pinterest board.

I took an author roadtrip to South Carolina, shooting dozens of photos and learning just about as many lessons. Bang: Pinterest board.

My boards relate to my novels, as I like to keep some space between family life and the writing life. There’s one exception, and I’m still not sure if I shouldn’t pull it down and put it somewhere else.

A long time ago, before any of our (now adult) children arrived, we got a dog. Now, I know people love to talk about their dogs. And people with dogs and kids? Settle in; you’re going to spend a lot of time listening.

I’m no exception. Merlyn was one of the special dogs, a brilliant, athletic Golden with, well, you get the idea. There are times these many years later that I still miss him. (Don’t worry, I miss the kids too now that they’ve moved away, but that’s another post). So I found old photos, scanned and cleaned them up a bit, and created, “Dog of Gold.”

It’s the one board that stands out from the others, in that it has nothing to do with Bella or Bootlicker. It is, however, another story from the same author.

My question: Am I undermining my brand? Does it belong in another collection, or can I keep it with the author boards?

(To subscribe to my blog, please click the green or orange icon on the blog homepage).

12 Comments so far »

1. Sally said,

Wrote on December 27, 2012 @ 4:00 am

I don’t use Pinterest; however, I think a lot of people struggle with their personal brand and social media. I think adding something personal is like adding salt or pepper to your food, it enhances it. It doesn’t mean opening up the personal flood gates of your personal life but it means having a human voice to your brand.

People love their pets, especially dogs. Adding this in my opinion adds a unique angle to your brand, humanizing you.

Steve Piacente Reply:

Thanks, Sally. One for the pooch!

Sally Reply:

Here, here!

2. Suzette said,

Wrote on December 27, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

Hi Steve- I completely agree with Sally. A little insight into who you are as a person allows your audience to get to know you better and that helps create loyalty to your brand because it makes you more relatable. If you are super concerned about it, maybe you can find a way to tie Merlyn into your brand. Are there any dogs in your stories that can connect Merlyn to them? Maybe you invite your readers to post pictures of their dogs to your Merlyn board. Or maybe you could write a blog post or commentary on the way that Dogs and Books are both great companions in life, how they make us feel connected, less alone, and sometimes more enlightened and less stressed. Share a picture of Merlyn there and link it to your Pinterest board for him. Maybe host a dog-friendly book signing and get pictures of you and your reader’s books and share those as a way to connect books and dogs. Either way, I think it’s great to share a little of yourself with your readers and dogs and babies are always winners. 🙂

3. Suzette said,

Wrote on December 27, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

Just saw a typo in my reply. 🙂 where I said “Maybe host a dog-friendly book signing and get pictures of you and your reader’s books and share those as a way to connect books and dogs.”… I actually meant to get pictures of “you and your readers’ DOGS”.

Steve Piacente Reply:

Those who know Suzette won’t be surprised by these great ideas. Suzette is Director of Author Education at Author Solutions, among the nation’s premier author learning companies.
    Thanks for dropping by and helping us see some cool links, Suzette. Author solutions indeed!

4. Candy said,

Wrote on December 30, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

I use Pininterest and LOVE it. I also lovbe Twitter!

Steve Piacente Reply:

Totally agree, Candy! Pinterest is great fun and a powerful way for authors to reach readers.

5. A. Yamina Collins said,

Wrote on January 2, 2013 @ 6:36 am

Hi, Steve,

I say keep the picture. It let’s your readers see a more personal side of you. And I think personal touches can be great for writers.

Happy new year my friend!

Steve Piacente Reply:

Thanks, Yamina, so far it’s unanimous in favor of the dog. Happy New Year to you as well!

6. Julie said,

Wrote on January 2, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

I love Pintrest, Steve, and think you’re spot on. You’re always ahead of the curve! Happy New Year!

Steve Piacente Reply:

Sometimes we stumble on things that turn out well, Julie. Happy New Year to you as well!

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI